Thursday, January 4, 2024

New June Carter Documentary Explores Carter Family Musical Legacy & Her Partnership with Johnny Cash

There's a new documentary June about June Carter debuting on Paramount+ on January 16. It explores the Carter Family's musical legacy & June's extraordinary partnership with Johnny Cash. (Note: "The Carter Family" in this context, does not refer to Jay Z and Beyonce.)

Some people forget June's legacy as a comic and singer, carrying on her family's traditions. and the fact that she wrote "Ring of Fire".


My father took me to see June Carter, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Maybelle Carter, et al perform at The Allentown Fair on August 13, 1971. I'd been a fan of 1969's "A Boy Named Sue", Cash's novelty hit of the Shel Silverstein classic, and somehow convinced my father to take me to the show. We bought a candy car in hopes of getting a golden ticket, the prize being a cache of Johnny Cash records. I was disappointed I didn't win but was enthralled by the show. 


Years later I saw Johnny Cash & June Carter perform again in Pennsylvania. This time, young punk rockers danced in the grass next to redneck tailgaters.

\

No comments:

Post a Comment