Sunday, October 29, 2017

"Milano" and "Lotta Sea Lice": Two Cool, New Collaborations That Give Hope To Guitar Fans (feat Courtney Barnett, Kurt Vile, Parquet Courts, Karen O, Daniele Luppi)



I'm a guitar fan. I've tried to play guitar, and many of my favorite songs and artists feature prominent guitar, whether it be Robert Johnson, Hubert Sumlin, Michael Bloomfield, or Jack White. These days, when I look at a Billboard chart, music award nominees, rankings of popular YouTube videos or a Spotify playlist, I often am sad to see nothing resembling guitar-based rock n roll (much less guitar-based blues or folk) to be found.

These two cool, new offerings are rays of sunlight breaking through the clutter. Interesting that they are both collaborations.

Lotta Sea Lice was born from a fantasy Kurt Vile had of Courtney Barnett singing with him. Both Kurt and Courtney (ouch!) are singer/songwriters who play guitar. This album totally works and is awesome. Check it out.


Milano is said to be Daniele Luppi's salute to both the 1980's and Milan, Italy. I only knew of him from his previous album Rome, a collaboration with Danger Mouse which featured guest vocalists such as Norah Jones. A highlight was Jack White doing "Two Against One", a song Jack has since added to his live repertoire.


Rome was reportedly Luppi's tribute to classic Italian movie music (much of it from "spaghetti Westerns" full of Spanish, Mexican, Western, cowboy, desert musical motifs).

I'm still trying to figure out what Milano has to say about Milan or the 80's (I actually was in Milano - a great city - in the 80's briefly), but what I do know is that it is a very good album. Karen O of The Yeah Yeah Yeahs has never been better, and Parquet Courts (who I love anyway - they have two very fine guitarists in their ranks - Andrew Savage and Austin Brown) sound completely different, fresh, and new. Check it out now!


And a couple of older videos I shot of Parquet Courts that I can't get enough of:


No comments:

Post a Comment