Saturday, October 8, 2011

George Harrison Documentary

Enjoying the new Martin Scorsese documentary Living in the Material World (HBO) about George Harrison.

To all the critics writing about how the documentary ignores the "fact" that George went downhill and made bad music for the last 20 or so years of his life, I would like to ask the following:

What about his last (posthumous) album Brainwashed (2002)?

it was pretty fucking great.

check out this song Pisces Fish:



Rowers gliding on the river
Canadian geese crap along the bank
Back wheel of my bike begins to quiver
The chain is wrapped around the crank

Old ladies, who must be doggie training
Walking, throwing balls, chasing all the sheep
While the farmer stands around, and he's complaining
His mad cows are being put to sleep

And I'm a Pisces fish and the river runs through my soul

Smoke signals from the brewery
Like someone in there found the latest Pope
In a vat of beer that keeps pumping out with fury
While the churchbell ringer's tangled in his rope

There's a temple on an island
I think of all the Gods and what they feel
You can only find them in the deepest silence
I got to get off of this big wheel

And I'm a Pisces fish and the river runs through my soul
I'm a Pisces fish and the river runs through my soul

And I'll be swimming until I can find those waters
That one unbounded ocean of bliss
That's flowing through your parents, sons and daughters
But still an easy thing for us to miss

Blades go skimming through the water
I hear the coxon shouting his instructions about
With this crew oh it could be a tall order
Have we time to sort all of these things out?

Some times my life it seems like fiction
Some of the days it's really quite serene
I'm a living proof of all life's contradictions
One half's going where the other half's just been

And I'm a Pisces fish and the river runs through my soul
I'm a Pisces fish and the river runs through my soul...



---------------------------------------------------------------


and i guess i have to remind you how great george was in the traveling wilburys with bob dylan, jeff lynne, roy orbison, and tom petty (talk about a supergroup!): handle with care (1988)











No comments:

Post a Comment