Thursday, January 24, 2019

Stephen Malkmus Tries His Hand At Electronica: "Viktor Borgia" (Video)



From the new album Groove Denied, out March 15. 

Stream the track and pre-order the album: here...

We were a little scared last April when Stephen Malkmus, guitar genius, put out a solo video of him doing songs from the last Jicks album Sparkle Hard... and it contained a few examples of his experiments with "Dad Electronica" - beats, blurps, samples and such... computer/keyboard-related stuff... A Pitchfork article at the time described it as "haunting electronic beats at an empty church rectory in Brooklyn..." Crikey! If that doesn't send a shiver down your spine...

Now he's gone ahead and recorded a whole album's worth of the stuff!

So now I am in a dilemma. I love Stephen Malkmus. I hate electronica. I do not look forward to this project. The best I can promise is that I won't grimace too much the first (and only) time I listen to it. (Or... ignore the music and wait for the clever lyrics to save the project...)

Here is some other music by Stephen Malkmus I shot videos of that are probably more up my alley than his electronica offerings:

(1) Harness Your Hopes/Stairway To Heaven/Beginning To See The Light (2) Surreal Teenager (3) Androgynous (4) Real Emotional Trash (5) Stereo (6) Mother Of Pearl (7) Summer Babe (feat Spiral Stairs) (8) Mr. Soul








P.S. What about that 2019 Pavement reunion tour we heard about? It would be fun and everyone would love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment