Thursday, March 14, 2013

Musical Musings

Yes, due to the miracle of the iPod, I carry 5,000 songs around to listen to while I'm walking or driving. The other day I put on Stephen Malkmus' 2011 Mirror Traffic, an album I liked considerably when it first came out and listened to incessantly for months. I also saw the triumphant hometown show in Portland featuring songs from the album


It had been forever since I'd listened to the album, and it was a joy to hear it again.

It made me think, for a minute, of this phenomenon of loving and living and breathing an album for a while... and then completely dropping it for something new, never to listen to it again.

But more than that, it made me remember how great Malkmus is, as a writer, singer, frontman, and, especially, guitarist.

Hope he comes back to Portland eventually after his "Berlin period".

Lots of good shows coming up in Portland soon - Christopher Owens, Spiritualized, and Unknown Mortal Orchestra.

Things I want to download right away - new albums from Wavves and The Foals, new songs from The Smith Westerns and M.I.A., an Atoms for Peace album... and I guess I will give The Strokes new album a chance, but I'm not expecting much based on the first songs we heard from it... and... that single featuring Brittany Howard and Ruby Amanfu sounds interesting....

Sasquatch 2013!


No comments:

Post a Comment